Re: Warning: Do not use gcc-3.3.3-5 in testing

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:10:50PM -0500, hugo vanwoerkom said
> MrVanes wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I recently apt-get updated my debian-testing machine and received g[cc
> >++]-3.3.3-5. After this for some reason I (re)compiled Qt 3.3.1 and got
> >stuck with a broken KDE i.e. I could no longer start KDE through KDM.
> >Starting KDE from xdm, or from a bare xsession was possible, but fonts were
> >mangled.
> >It turned out that qtconfig crashed with a segmentation fault when I tried
> >to reconfigure my fonts and so did the fonts part of kcontrol.
> >
> >After long searching, recompiling Qt, KDE, reverting to Qt 3.3.0 etc. etc.
> >it dawned to me that the more I recompiled things, the more got broken...
> >Hence my guess it could be my compiler (valgrind-ing qtconfig told me the
> >error was in the fresh compiled libqt-mt.so.3 library and nowhere else).
> >Upgrading g[cc|++]-3.3.3-5 to 3.3.3-6 (from unstable) and recompiling Qt
> >3.3.1 and KDE-libs + base solved all my problems.
> >
> >DO NOT USE g[cc|++]-3.3.3-5!!!
> >
> >Hope these 2 cents can save some people from ugly broken systems!
> >
> >Grtz. Martin
> >

> Well, since switching back to gcc/g++ 3.2.3 from 3.3.3-1 on Sarge all my
> weird problems have disappeared:
> - valgrind runs normally
> - no more segfaults in the QString destructor
> - segfaults in Qt applications

Has either of you two filed a bug on g++ for this?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      Centro radar gamma offensive information warfare Serbian