Re: 2.6.4 kernel install wants to remove current kernel

on Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:16:34AM +0800, stderr@philwebinc.com insinuated:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > after hearing all the brouhaha about the 2.6 kernel, i thought i'd try
> > it out.  but a simple `apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686` wants
> > to remove packages i don't want it to:
>
> do with the --no-remove option, man apt-get for
> more options.

hm, that seems to say it will just quit if anything is to be removed:

       --no-remove
              If any packages are to be removed  apt-get  immedi-
              ately   aborts  without  prompting.   Configuration
              Item: APT::Get::Remove

I'd like it not to remove packages -- not just quit if it thinks it
should.

> > homeruns:~# apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > The following extra packages will be installed:
> >   module-init-tools
>
> this is needed by the 2.6.x kernels, else you cant
> load/unload modules with this kernel.

i'm fine with installing new things -- just removing old important
ones is what i'm concerned about.

> > Suggested packages:
> >   kernel-doc-2.6.4 kernel-source-2.6.4
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686 modutils
> > <snip>
>
> modutils are ok to remove, it would be replaced by
> module-init-tools.

cool; thanks.

> removal of current kernel: i suggest doing with the
> # dpkg -i <pathtokernelimage>/kernel_image2.6.x.deb
> instead of apt-get.

well, that's an option, i guess, but i'd like to do this using apt if
i can, instead of having to grab the source and copy over my previous
kernel config, and then using dpkg -- which is what you're suggesting,
yes?  i'm trying to show off to a coworker how slick apt can be ;)

thanks again,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu