Re: udev and CD or DVD drives

At 2004-04-08T01:24:42Z, "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:03:09AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

>> Hmmm, you may be onto something.  I don't have /dev/scsi at all, although
>> my CDROM *is* visible under /sys:

> Odd.

Yeah, I thought so.

>> Should my IDE CDROM and DVD be visible under /dev/ide or similar?

> Yes.  Well, if the IDE driver is the one handling it.  If a scsi driver is
> handling it, then it should appear under /dev/scsi.

It is.  I dropped ide-scsi like a hot potato once cdrecord supported ATAPI
drives.

> I am not (any more) using the ide-scsi emulation.  I have an IDE CDROM
> and an IDE CD-RW drive.

That's so strange.  I realized that the ide-cd didn't get loaded at boot,
and modprobe'ing it gave me /dev/hd{b,d}, which correspond to my CD-RW and
DVD drives' locations on the IDE bus.  Still no /dev/ide or /dev/scsi,
though.

> One characteristic you'll notice of udev (and the way debian packages it)
> is that it uses a devfs-like naming scheme by default.  I suspect that is
> simply because the devfs scheme already exists, some systems are already
> using it, and its the quickest/easiest migration path.

I'd settle for anything that worked right now.  I even purged the udev
package, removed /etc/udev, and reinstalled it to make sure that I'm running
a completely clean installation - no joy.  :-/
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.