> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From: SheyZ SheyZ
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

> ATTACHMENT part 1 message/rfc822

debian-user-digest Digest Volume 2004 : Issue 1084

Today's Topics:
ppp using bluetooth [ "Christoph Torens" Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del in ne [ Anthony Campbell Re: Java crashing Firefox [ Patrick Wiseman
AW: Trouble installing nic driver fo [ "Simmel" ]
Re: Trouble installing nic driver fo [ Frank Gevaerts ]
Where is contrib? [ hugo vanwoerkom Re: Where is contrib? [ Florian Ernst ]
Please confirm (Auto-reply code ad09 [ allard@oceanpark.com ]
Trouble with a: Toshiba 5105 laptop, [ Ralph Crongeyer Re: Logitech MX500 button behaviour [ William Ballard <40311.nospam@comca ]
PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO T [ Dkinschy0525@aol.com ]
Re: webowner webgroup [ "Jamin W. Collins" Re: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW [ Dan Korostelev ]
Re: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW [ "Nelson E. Castillo" Re: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW [ Olle Eriksson
Re: Exim & squirrelmail [ "Bojan Baros" Re: Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del i [ "s. keeling" ]

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:33:46 +0200
From: "Christoph Torens"
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: ppp using bluetooth

Hi,

I am trying to set up a ppp conection via bluetooth rfcomm devices.
I have two linux PC's called viper and debian.
The ppp connection gets established, but then on both sides only send
events occur.
I dont have much experiance with ppp, so I hope you can give me some hints
wha ts going wrong.

I start the "dund" server and client, thats a bluez program, but what it
does is:
it sets up an rfcomm connection (serial line emulation over bluetooth) and
runns ppp over it.
I think the bluez part works, because I receive something on each side.
I hope to get it to work somehow. It's probably some misconfiguration.

So here is my output:

root@viper root# dund -S 00:60:57:0c:88:1a --connect 00:04:3e:c0:9d:79 -n
-D file /etc/ppp/options.rfcomm
dund[381]: DUN daemon ver 1.1
dund[381]: Searching for LAP on 00:04:3e:c0:9d:79
dund[381]: Connecting to 00:04:3e:c0:9d:79 channel 1
dund[381]: Connection established
root@viper root# Serial connection established.
using channel 1
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1

]
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2
]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x84c59b28]
sent [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x42f81f91]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CC P ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "No network protocols running"]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
Connection terminated.

++

debian:/home/sordid# dund --listen -n debug file /etc/ppp/options.rfcomm
dund[1358]: DUN daemon ver 1.1
dund[1396]: New connection from 00:60:57:0C:88:1A
Serial connection established.
using channel 1
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1

]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
]
rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id= 0x2
]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x84c59b28]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x42f81f91]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < DEFLATE 15>]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0x84c59b28]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x4 "No network protocols running"]
Connection terminated.

++

and here are the option.rfcomm files:

root@viper root# cat /etc/ppp/options.rfcomm
nodetach
local
proxyarp
noauth
passive
169.254.36.210:169.254.36.207
netmask 255.255.0.0
debug
default-asyncmap
nocrtscts
lock
connect "sleep 2; echo -n CLIENTSERVER"
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote

++

debian:/# cat /etc/ppp/options.rfcomm
noauth
local
noipdefault
169.154.36.207:169.154.36.210
netmask 255.255.255.0
connect "sleep 2; echo -n CLIENTSERVER"

I really hope you can help me.
Thank you for any help.

--
Regards,
Christoph Torens

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:56:36 +0100
From: Anthony Campbell
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Can no longer use ctrl-alt-del in new X - bug or feature?

I've just installed X from Sarge and find that ctrl-alt-del no longer
does anything, nor does ctrl-shift-f1 take me to a text terminal. To
access a text terminal I have to close down X completely. Is this a bug,
a feature, or do I have something misconfigured?

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk || http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian || for book reviews, electronic

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:00:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Patrick Wiseman

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Java crashing Firefox

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 at 8:40am, Anthony Campbell wrote:

:On 31 Mar 2004, Mustafa Taha Al-Shawaf wrote:
:> I'm having similar trouble. If you ever get it to work let me know. I've
:> been having the worst trouble with getting java to work under linux.
:>
:> MA
:>
:> On Wednesday 31 March 2004 16:05, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
:> > j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so, which I
:> > acquired from the Sun site crashes Firefox. The mere presence of a
:> > symlink to it in my ~/.firefox/plugins directory and Firefox 0.8 doesn't
:> > even start up. Googling suggested that that plugin was my _solution_, but
:> > it's not!
:> >
:> > But for that, I love Firefox.
:> >
:> > Patrick
:> >
:> > --
:> > Patrick Wiseman pwiseman@mindspring.com
:> > Linux user #17943 *Google First, Ask Later*
:>
:
:I have java working with firefox. The version is 1.4.2_03.
:I found I had to put the link in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins,
:otherwise it didn't work.

I trie d symlinking it in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/ and
about:plugins crashed firefox. I've tried every version I can find, from
Sun and Blackdown. Something's obviously hosed, but I don't know what.

Patrick

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:13:40 +0200
From: "Simmel"
Subject: AW: Trouble installing nic driver for intel 82562ET

>Linux kernel source not found.

Hi Peter,

run

#tasksel

again choose C & C++ and custom kernel compilation

that should do it.............

Greets,
Simmel

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:53:34 +0200
From: Frank Gevaerts
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:11:28PM +0800, petermack@iinet.net.au wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just intalled the debian 30r2 binary 1 cd for the first time on my second
> computer but im having trouble installing my network card. I have the 82562ET
> ethernet adapter so after checking on the intel website (on my xp machine) I
> downloaded the e100 driver (e100-2.3.38.tar.gz). I only have dsl access so I
> burnt it to a cd and figured out that I needed to mount the drive to access it.
> Then managed to extract the files but when I use the make fle I get the error:
>
> Linux kernel source not found.
>
> Which I assume funnily enough means I havent installed linux kernel source. I
> checked /usr/src which was empty. I was told thats where it was meant to be.. I
> didn't see an option when i installed. I searched the list as to how to install
> the kernel s ource (running vannila) but they all mentioned apt-get. With dsl I
> wont be able to get internet access until i can get my nic installed and set up
> a pppoe connection. Any ideas how I can get the correct source and where i need
> to install it to? It seems logical its on the binary 1 cd but how do i copy it
> across? Sorry for the trouble but im really new to linux.

It should be supported by the eepro100 driver, but the eepro100 driver
from 2.4.18 only supports cards up to PCI ID 8086:1038, while the
82562ET seems to be 8086:103a (you can verify this using lspci -n)
If you feel brave, you coulkd try using a hex editor on the eepro100.o
file, and change "86 80 00 00 38 10 00 00" to "86 80 00 00 3a 10 00 00"
(it should be in /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/net/)

If you like, I can send you an edited module to replace the one on your
system.

If you do compile a new kernel, either edit the eepro100.c source to add
support for yoour card, or use a kernel of version 2.4.19 or higher.

Frank

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:03:07 -0600
From: hugo vanwoerkom
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Where is contrib?

Hi Debian!

I jigdoed the first 6 Sarge CD's, so they are uptodate.

In e.g. the last one, #6, I can see contrib packages:
/dists/sarge/contrib/binary-1386/Packages
/pool/contrib/b/batik
both have "batik".

But when I do synaptic, none are listed.
Nor in aptitude.

And apt-get install batik gets "Couldn't find it".

These CD's are loopmounted and my sources.list has:

deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD1/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD2/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD3/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD4/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD5/debian sarge main contrib
deb file:/mnt/Debian3.1/CD6/debian sarge main contrib

#for modified bruby X
deb /http://www.schuldei.org/debian/bruby/ ./

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

When I take out CD6 and instead burn that iso to CD and then do
apt-cdrom add and thereafter apt-get update, it does not find batik
either. But he finds regular packages on CD6.

Can anybody explain why I the presumably human can see the contrib
packages but apt-get or its friends not?

Thanks!

Hugo

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:05:46 +0200
From: Florian Ernst
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Where is contrib?

Hello Hugo!

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:03:07AM -0600, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> I jigdoed the first 6 Sarge CD's, so they are uptodate.
>
> In e.g. the last one, #6, I can see contrib packages:
> /dists/sarge/contrib/binary-1386/Packages
> /pool/contrib/b/batik
> both have "batik".

Both mention a directory named 'batik', right? But there is only a
'libbatik-java' binary package built from a source package called
'batik'.

> But when I do synaptic, none are listed.
> Nor in aptitude.
>
> And apt-get install batik gets "Couldn't find it".

Sure, there is no 'batik' binary package.

> Can anybody explain why I the presumably human can see the contrib
> packages but apt-get or its friends not?

HTH,
Flo

Date: 1 APR 2004 14:12:40 UT
From: allard@oceanpark.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Please confirm (Auto-reply code ad09f8a7)

Hello.

You have sent email to allard@oceanpark.com.

Due to the enormous amount of junk mail I receive, I have to make
sure that you are really a person to whom I can reply via email.

Please confirm that you wish to send me email by replying to this
message. Include the confirmation code ad09f8a7 in the subject or
body of your reply.

(All you have to do is hit your Reply button and then hit Send.)

Once your reply is processed, all email you send to me will be
delivered, including any email y ou sent to me prior to receiving
this notice.

Thanks!

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:55:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Ralph Crongeyer
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Trouble with a: Toshiba 5105 laptop, kernel-2.6.4 and nvidia

driver 1.0-5336.
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:54:46 -0500

Hello,

I'm having this problem with Toshiba 5105 laptop, kernel-2.6.4 and nvidia
driver 1.0-5336. There is about a 1/4 inch gap of the screen not being used
on the right hand side of the screen running vertically. I used to be able to
fix this problem (w ith kernel-2.4.x) by editing my "/etc/modules.conf" file
with this:

options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

But now this has no effect? (I'm using Debian "SID" with kernel-2.6.4).
Also, since I'm using the 2.6 kernel, I have put the:
options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia
commands in the "/etc/modprobe.conf" file also.

Even if I exit out of the GUI and stop x, and kdm and "rmmod nvidia" to unload
the module and then reload it with:
"modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2"
to insure that the options are loaded, and then restart kdm and x it has no
effect, the 1/4 inch gap is still there?

How can I fix this?

Ralph

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:26:07 -0800
From: William Ballard <40311.nospam@comcast.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Logitech MX500 button behaviour

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:47:20PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> Any ideas?

Search the archives. I just use ImPS/2 and don't use the extra buttons
cause I could never figure it out. If you get it working, post it here.

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:31:50 EST
From: Dkinschy0525@aol.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO TURN MY DMA ON?

HI PLEASE HELP ME.

                           JOEY

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:55:06 -0700
From: "Jamin W. Collins"
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: webowner webgroup

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:47:32PM -0700, Joseph wrote:
> I'm writing a script and I need to find out the webowner and webgroup of
> the apache server when I'm log-in as root.

There are some scripts for this and more in the wwwconfig-common package.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:01:59 +0400
From: Dan Korostelev
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW H OW TO TURN MY DMA ON?

 ×òâ, 01.04.2004, â 19:31, Dkinschy0525@aol.com ïèøåò: HI PLEASE HELP ME. apt-get install hdparm, edit /etc/hdparm.conf (On Sarge and Sid)

or one-time thing: hdparm -d /dev/hdX (where X is the HDD device letter)

--
Dan Korostelev <dan@ats.energo.ru>

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:17:05 -0500
From: "Nelson E. Castillo"
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:01:59PM +0400, Dan Korostelev wrote:
> apt-get install hdparm, edit /etc/hdparm.conf (On Sarge and Sid)
>
> or one-time thing: hdparm -d /dev/hdX (where X is the HDD device letter)

Hi :)

This will query whether the DMA is enabled or not.
To enable:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX

Disable with -d0

Since the email that started the thead is way too
naive, We have to suposse we're talking of a hard
disk. Don't forget to test whether it works. Turn
DMA on and off and try the following command to
see what happens.

# hdparm -tT /dev/hdX

Read the man pages.

Regards,
Nelson.-

--
http://geocities.com/arhuaco

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself
and you are the easiest person to fool.
-- Richard Feynman.

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:16:34 +0200
From: Olle Eriksson

To: Dkinschy0525@aol.com
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org

>Re: PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO TURN MY DMA ON?

Perhaps you should try to figure out first if your drive supports DMA
since enabling it without support apparently can cause damage to the
drive. To turn on DMA then you do this:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda # or whatever the name of your hard drive is

"man hdparm" give some of the possible options. Just "hdparm /dev/hda"
will tell you what options are already enabled.

> HI PLEASE HELP ME.

Why are you shouting?

Regards
Olle

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:35:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Bojan Baros"
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Exim & squirrelmail

> Hi!
>
> I am using Exim default configure with Qpopper. Now I am try to
> configure
> squirrelmail but when I try to login into squirrelmail it prompt me an
> error.
>
> ERROR : Could not complete request.
> Query:SELECT "INBOX"
> Reason Given: Mailbox does not exist
>
> ERROR : Could not complete request.
> Query:CREATE "INBOX.Sent"
> Reason Given: Permission denied
> ><
>
> What should I configure to allow access my pop3 account ?

Hello "Support".

First of all, SquirrelMail is an IM AP client, not POP3. The
difference is that IMAP client browses mail on the mail server, while
POP3 downloads it to the local machine.

Is this what you originally intended? If so, you have to download an
IMAP server for your email server. apt-get install cyrus-imap should
get you started.

Bojan

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:38:41 -0700
From: "s. keeling"
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Incoming from Anthony Campbell:
> I've just installed X from Sarge and find that ctrl-alt-del no longer

/etc/inittab

> does anything, nor does ctrl-shift-f1 take me to a text terminal. To

ctrl-alt-f1 then ctrl-alt-f7 to go back.

> access a text terminal I have to close down X completely. Is this a bug,
> a feature, or do I have something misconfigured?

... or use r error/misconception, problem between keyboard & chair, ...

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
- -