Re: .xinitrc, .xsession

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> I would like to know the difference between .xinitrc and .xsession,
> when what works, or which is the one that mus be set.
> Thank you all.

I think the difference is what you get from man startx:

[...]
       Note that in the Debian system, what many people traditionally
       put in the .xinitrc file should go in  .xses­
       sion  instead;  this permits the same X environment to be
       presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to
       start the X session. All discussion of the .xinitrc file
       in the xinit(1) manual page applies equally well to
       .xsession.
       Keep in mind that .xinitrc is used only by xinit(1) and completely ignored by xdm(1).
[...]

.xsession -> xdm
.xinitrc -> xinit, startx

Oliver