Mail server load

Hy, i'm Administrator of an University, and my mail (pop/imap) server
has 5-6 average LA, the machine is an Dual Pentium Xeon of 2.4Ghz, with
1Gb of RAM, and one UW-SCSI 320 of 36Gb. My domain has 4000 email
accounts, and 5 list of 3000 local users (that send one or two email by
day). The problem is that users gets TIMEOUT everytime that try to
download emails, etc etc.. My Webmail it's running on other server
connecting by imap, and i have another SMTP that checks virus and spam.
I don't know how can i do, i change from Sendmail to Postfix that helps
a little bit, but still loaded. I will appreciate your help/experiences.
My solutions could be: Change from mailbox to maildir, buy another disc
only to be used by /var/spool/mail or building a mail server cluster
(last choice).

Thanks,

Mariano Agustín Wahlmann
Administrador de Red
Facultad de Agronomía - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Te.: (+54 11) 4524-8000 int.8108
email: wahlmann@agro.uba.ar
www: http://www.agro.uba.ar