Re: dual boot system sharing data - suggestions please

> developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
>
>>I just got me a new laptop the dell inspiron 8600 with a 60gig harddrive.
>>I would like to set up a dual boot system on the one harddrive.  The
>> catch
>>is I was thinking it would be nice if my linux system could see my
>> windows
>>documents and likewise.  So to start with if I was going with a regular
>>dual boot I would want lilo on a mbr and a ext3 partition and a ntfs
>>partition.  Right?
>>
>>Now what is the best way to share data my guess is I would need a fat32
>>partition both can read that right?  WOuld the best way to go be to add
>>that in addition to the two other partitions and put shared data on this
>>partition or would it make sense to just put my windows system on fat32?
>>
>>Or is there another option?
>>
>>-thanks ryan
>>

> I have something similar.  I have four partitions.
>
> 1 - ext3 (debian)
> 1 - ntfs (Windows XP)
> 1- vfat/fat32 (shared docs, images, etc)
> 1 - swap
>

> The vfat partition is visible and accessible from both debian and
> Windows XP.
>

> This has worked great for me.
>

> Russ

Thanks for the reply.  Now is there any reason not to just load windows on
the vfat partition?  Is it slower?  And what do you think about partition
the harddrive like you would normally for a linux box, i mean I usually
have at least a /, /var, /home partitions.  But in the case of the laptop
I was going to skip this step?  Also when I load windows boxes I normally
set up 2 partitions 1 for windows os and then 1 for everything else.  I
kind of figured since the laptop is a bit constraining I wouldn't do this
type of stuff, what do you think?

-ryan