Upgrading 2.4 to 2.6 kernel problems

Hi,

I upgraded my unstable system from kernel 2.4.25 to 2.6.4.
I still have a couple of minor problems.

1. After the kernel has booted and init is running when modprobe is trying to insert drivers it is complaining all the time about a whole list of drivers which already have been loaded. This is true but I don't see why modprobe should complain all the time and produce a list of around ten drivers which already have been loaded. So I guess there is something wrong with my setup. Should I install more stuff then the only the kernel image? For the 2.4 kernels for example there is the package kernel-pcmcia-modules and I run Debian on a laptop with PCMCIA and a wireless card.

2. Just after loading all the modules the screen dims and characters turn from white to dark gray, which is very hard to read and all my virtual consoles are dimmed.

Thanks

Jaap

Jaap