Re: Inline PGP signatures [was: Re: email signatures]

Hello

Joerg Johannes (<liste_joerg@gmx.de>) wrote:

> Am Fr, den 26.03.2004 schrieb Paul Johnson um 04:52:
>> Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:
>>>
>>> Errh, your sig starts with "- -- \n". Bad example. Go fix it.
>>
>> Not when using inline PGP signatures, then it's considered valid.
>
> OK, sorry for that. But now to something else: I use evolution as mua,
> and I don't quite understand what to do with inline PGP signatures.
> When the signature is attached, I see a lock symbol at the bottom of
> the mail, and when clicking on that lock the signature is checked (if
> the key is available). This does not work with inline signed messages:
> I see only the
> signature, but I don't know how to check the validity of such a
> signature.
> Is this brokenness of evolution? Or am I missing something
> fundamental?

As far as I know evolution does not support the old (and very common)
inline PGP/GPG signatures. Instead it only supports attatched GPG/PGP
signatures (PGP/MIME). The problem is that many other MUAs only support
inline signatures, but not PGP/MIME, and some need additional software
to support PGP/MIME (like aegypten for kmail). Check ix 03/2004 for an
overview on PGP support in common MUAs.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674