Re: locale errors

On Thursday 25 March 2004 01:04 pm, Ashley Graham wrote:
> how do I fix this:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = (unset),
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
>         LANG = (unset)
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")
>
> I can't remember what I did, but this error wasn't around the whole
> time. I think it started appearing after I installed something, but
> for the life of me, can't remember what.

Log out, then log in again.

I get this sometimes after an upgrade (apt-get dist-upgrade).
"dpkg-reconfigure locales" alone doesn't do it.  Logout, then in, then
it's back to normal.

If someone can explain why this happens, that would be nice.  I am
guessing that it has something to do with locale being updated, but
some applications or dynamic libraries or something like that are
already running with the old one, so it gets a mix and complains.

As a more general hint ..  I have found that often when things look
messed up after an upgrade, logout and in fixes it.  Most other systems
require a reboot after an upgrade.  If all else fails, try that.