Re: /etc/profile and setting env variables

"shrevie@ntnation.com" <shrevie@ntnation.com> writes:

> I want to do this for all users on the system, so I thought: edit
> /etc/profile
>
> I did that... but it doesn't seem to make a difference, and worse,
> /etc/profile seems to get nuked upon logout/login. So clearly I am
> doing this in the wrong place.....

/etc/profile is not supposed to be deleted automatically.  Something
is wrong in your system installation.  Who knows which other files
also get nuked -- /etc/passwd perhaps?  You can see that the
situation needs to be corrected.

/etc/profile is only read for Bourne-ish shells, AFAIK.  C-ish shells
read /etc/csh.login, and zsh reads /etc/zprofile and /etc/zlogin,
amongst othes.

Kai