Re: Promise or 3Ware?

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 18.58, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> I now need to buy some hardware to set up a 2-disk RAID-1 array for a
> server.  The server will run debian with kernel 2.6.  The cost
> (money-wise) is not really an issue.  The disks are ATA/133 (already
> purchased).  Which would you recommend, and why?
>
>     Promise FastTrak TX2000 controller
>         with 2 Promise SuperSwap 1000 host-swappable drive bays
>
>     3Ware Escalade 7006-2 controller (or 7506-4LP model)
>         with 1 3Ware RDC-400 hot-swappable drive cage

For RAID 1 with only 2 disks, neither.

The driver problems with promise were mentioned, and the 3ware probably is
overkill. Have you thought about using software RAID? Yes, it uses a bit more
CPU and doubles the PCI bus load, compared with the 3ware (dunno about
Promise - I'm not sure if it does RAID1 in hardware).

(Of course, if you don't have enough on-board IDE slots free, go ahead and buy
3ware or ICP controllers. Both are reported to have good drivers and work
well).

> Say, what's the difference between a 32-bit/66MHz and a 64-bit/66MHz
> PCI card?  Are there limitations as to what motherboards they will
> work on?  This particular machine is an older PII.

Careful: while technically, the 64bit cards should work, check your board:
some boards have some components placed where you would need space for the 64
bit part of the PCI connector.

cheers
-- vbi

--