Re: how to install X

Paul Johnson wrote:

"mehdi" <mehdi@lavasani.co.uk> writes:
( I know I can download the RPM and install them. But I thought it
might be already in one of these disks).

No, Debian doesn't use RPMs.  RPMs suffer from dependency hell and
other stupidity that makes them have something in common with MS
Windows: They both belong to the past.

I believe the general consensus is that RPMs and DEBs are roughly equivalent. The difference is in the policies that are enforced on the official Debian repositories that make sure all the Debian packages work properly in regard to dependencies, etc.

Once you leave the official repositories for third-party repositories, you open yourself up for the same type of issues you have in the RPM world.

--
Kent