Re: Some sox questions.

Adam Funk wrote:
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 07:40, Rob Weir wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:23:03AM +0000, Adam Funk said

(I'm running sox 12.17.4 on Debian testing.)

sox -h and the man page suggest mp3 support, but

$ sox foo.wav foo.mp3
sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support

produces nothing (actually an empty file), although

$ sox foo1.mp3 foo1.wav
sox: Do not support MPEG audio (layer I, III or III) with 16-bit
data. Forcing to Signed.

produces a wav file.  I assume this is because of licensing issues
with the MP3 encoding algorithm, right?

Yes, Debian contains no mp3 encoding code.  You can get packages of

So how is it that the Debian-packaged normalize works on MP3s?  It must
encode as well as decode them since it modifies the MP3 file. (Curiously, it doesn't support Ogg-Vorbis!)

Ogg Vorbis has vorbisgain which does the same thing as normalize and I know that vorbisgain doesn't do any reencoding, it just adds meta-data to the file that players use to adjust the volume. Indeed I would go so far as to say that reencoding would be a very retarded way of going about it since both mp3 and ogg are lossy formats, but anything is possible[I don't know how normalize works].