Re: Getting flash to work in firefox

Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Hi,

I installed the flash plugin from macromedia for firefox/mozilla, but I get an error during startup.

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

I've got the libc6 and libstdc++5 packages installed. I only do not see libc6.2-2.so.3 anywhere on my system.

So what should I do to get it working?

I vaguely recall something about a broken flash; I can't remember the details, nor the URL for downloading the fix, but I do have the tarball if you need it.

Not wanting to leave you without the fix, and not wanting to attach the tarball, the contents of the tarball are provided below.

So just copy the contents of flashfix.c into a file named flashfix.c; copy the contents of Makefile into a file named Makefile. Then run "make". Copy the resulting executable to your plugin directory and run it there. Restart your browser; BING! You're in business (hopefully).

westk[@westkent]:/home/westk/tmp/flashfix-1.0:> ls -l
total 32
-rw-r--r--    1 westk    westk        5519 2004-01-19 12:47 flashfix.c
-rw-r--r--    1 westk    westk       18009 2004-01-19 12:33 gpl.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 westk    westk          98 2004-01-19 12:50 Makefile

The code:
====

/*
  flashfix.c by Toby Corkindale
  Copyright (c) 2004 by Toby Corkindale, all rights reserved.

  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
  as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
  of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

  (Available in gpl.txt along with this source file.)

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

  To contact the author, email: flashfix (at) corkindale (dot) net
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <errno.h>

// Globals:
char *FILENAME = "libflashplayer.so";
off_t   OFFSET = 0x0002f8b6;

// prototypes:
void display_intro();
int check_version(int fd);
int copy_files(int in, int out);
int fix_file(int fd);

int main()
{
   int infd, outfd;

The Makefile
====
CFLAGS=-O -Wall

all: flashfix

flashfix: flashfix.c Makefile
       $(CC) -o $@ $< $(CFLAGS)
       strip $@

And the first few lines of the gpl.txt, which should be sufficient for finding the full copy if needed.
====
                   GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                      Version 2, June 1991

Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.