RE: how to install X

mehdi wrote:
> I 've installed the basic operating system ( only using disk one out of 7
> disks). At the time of installation it didn't ask me to insert disk2 or
> disk3 ... . The basic system has no graphical interface at all. I mount
the
> cdrom and check some of the disk, but I can't find the the Xwindow stuff
or
> gnome or kde.

Do you have a DSL connection? Flat maybe? then do this.......

vi /etc/apt/sources.list

and add "something" like this ("something" because you should check an
debian archive located in your country)

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

After that do apt-get update so that the package list will be read for your
dist.

Then do tasksel choose X-Windows and kde/gnome

That's how I did.... but be aware that tasksel will install kde and gnome,
so if disk space is a topic, you should install the packages with apt-get

You can find help @ www.debian.org Search, Paketsearch, and then search for
your desired packages....

Greets,
Simmel