Re: /etc/hosts ignored

Alexis Huxley wrote:

In the last few days I've been changing some configurations on my
computer. I've been using some initrd scripts to preconfigure my system
for two different environments successfully for quite some time. When I
added the third one, the problems started. It might be, that I simply
made a mistake when copying files and I cannot find it now or that
trying to install nis was responsible. The problem must be commonplace.
Now when I issue "dnsdomainname -v", I get this:
gethostname()=`sonet'
Resolving `sonet' ...
dnsdomainname: Unknown host
I also cannot ping sonet or hladilnik (see below for details).
Here is the relevant information:
[/etc/hosts]
127.0.0.1   	localhost   sonet.utopija.linux         sonet
192.168.65.72   sonet.utopija.linux sonet
192.168.65.65   hladilnik.utopija.linux hladilnik
192.168.65.1    drugi_sonet drugi_sonet.utopija.linux
192.168.65.2    popoc

The localhost entry should say '127.0.0.1 localhost' only. Remove the
references the rest.

Post the results of 'grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf'.

[/etc/host.conf]
order hosts,bind
multi on

I would advise removing this file altogether. /etc/nsswitch.conf is
consulted first (if it exists) and offers greater *and clearer*
functionality.

The steps I took for my own home network configuration are available
at http://tinyurl.com/39ds9. You might find it useful to look over it.

Alexis

The entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf should be:

hosts:          files dns

-mk