Re: mouse freezing in X Windows?

David Piniella wrote:

I'm running a woody unstable box, GUI is X-Windows with XFCE4; my mouse keeps freezing in x-windows. I can use the keyboard to do stuff in xfce (run commands, tab through options, type in an xterm, etc) and if I go to another console (e.g., alt-F2,) and then go back to X-windows (alt-F7) I can use the mouse again...but within a minute or two it'll freeze again.

the problem occurs in other WM's (windowmaker, blackbox and xfce) and as other users (my main user account, a test account and root). I was not running gpm, and after installing it the problem seems more severe in that the freeze happens sooner.

I haven't noticed this problem before yesterday afternoon (although to be honest, I hadn't been using the GUI all that much on this system).

Now that you have gpm running, you might try switching to console and see if the mouse freezes up there after a couple of minutes.

Do you have the correct protocol/location specified for your mouse, in both gpm and X?

Is this a serial mouse? USB? ps/2? Perhaps try a different style of mouse and see if the problem occurs there also.

--
Kent