RE: PPP config with external modem

John Hasler wrote:
: Preston writes:
:: This weekend I installed a base Debian system using the new
:: installer. My only "problem" is after using pppconfig to setup my
:: external modem it will activate the modem (dial and apparently
:: connect) but I can't get apt-setup to connect to any sources to
:: download programs.
:
: Tell us _exactly_ what you did and _exactly_ what happened.  Try 'ping
: www.debian.org' and 'ping 192.25.206.10'.
:: I "su" in to "pon" my provider...
:
: You wouldn't need to do that if you had added your non-root
: user as a ppp
: user.  In pppconfig do 'Change->->Provider->Advanced->Add
: User' and follow
: instructions.
:

tried the "add user" feature and was not able to initiate "pon" unless i was root (will verify when i get home).

:: ...but can't "poff" without changing into the /usr/sbin/ directory
:: and intitating the command there.
:
: Looks like 'poff' is in /usr/sbin (it should be in /usr/bin)
: and PATH is
: not correct.
:

i will double check, but i am almost sure i was in /usr/sbin instead of /usr/bin (will verify when i get home)

:: I am wondering if it may have something to do with DHCP that was
:: setup during the install.
:
: No, but why was DHCP set up?  Do you need it?  It has nothing
: to do with
: dialup.
:

it (installer) automagically configures DHCP if a network card is present (unless run as "expert")

:: How do I change it to a static IP address and try it that way?
:
: Pppd takes care of its own IP numbers.  DHCP is not involved.
:
:
: --
: John Hasler