Re: Console is screwy (shows what looks like boot log)

Hello

Jorge Santos (<jsf@ciencias.unam.mx>) wrote:

> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> Brad Sims (<bmsims1@insightbb.com>) wrote:
>>
>>> My virtual consoles (ie F1-whatever) after a short period
>>> will go screwy and show what looks like boot logs or
>>> multi-color flashing garbage... I tried /c and even the reset
>>> command to no avail... They are fine after a hardware reboot
>>> but this is annoying... SSH works just fine, as does XFree86.
>>>
>> Do you use any framebuffer driver? I had the same problem switching
>> from XFree to a console using rivafb. Vesafb of plain text mode work
>>
> Hello, I'm having a similar problem and I would like to know how do I
> get the kernel to use vesafb or plain text mode.

To use the vesafb driver, it has to be compiled into the kernel (the
normal Debian 2.4 kernel packages from Woody except bf2.4 don't support
that), and you have to select a mode using the vga parameter in your
boot loader configuration. Read the Framebuffer Howto (package
doc-linux-html) to learn more about it.

To use plain text mode, set the vga parameter to normal (vga=normal). In
some cases you excplicitly have to switch off the vga16 framebuffer
driver. Add "video=vga16:off" to the append line in your boot loader
configuration.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674