Re: problem with apt-get and 2.4.18 kernel upgrade

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:24:18PM -0800, Billy
Pilgrim wrote:

> vmlinux-2.4.18-newpmac

> Package        : kernel-patch-2.4.18-powerpc

As you can  see, the packages names differ.  Maybe you
don't
have  a default  kernel installed  but one  you (or
someone
else) compiled. That's what "newpmac" suggests.

Regards,
Nelson.-

Thanks for your reply, Nelson. I'm confused b/c even
though the package names differ, the "newpmac" is
still a part of this upgrade. It too is a powermac
kernel, one for newer machines. And "newpmac" has a
URL for downloading in the security advisory -

"http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/k/kernel-patch-2.4.18-powerpc/kern
+el-image-2.4.18-newpmac_2.4.18-1woody3_powerpc.deb
      Size/MD5 checksum:  9452710
cc8fe6e203147668d2ca134e11fa4709"

Also, when I have a look at Debian's packages on the
Website, this "newpmac" is also listed there as having
a security problem -

"kernel-image-2.4.18-newpmac (2.4.18-1woody4)
[security] Linux kernel binary image."

Any ideas? I did download the files with wget finally
- but I'm reluctant to install b/c I'm confused about
something else. The kernel headers only have the name
"powerpc" attached to them, whereas the kernel itself
is "newpmac". I'm assuming that the headers are
"generic" for the powermacs, but I just wanted to be
sure before I hose anything.

Barry