Re: More on installation

jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,
Thanks for the info on installation. I may not need to download any stuff. I have been passed a 'debian-30r1-i386-binary-1' cd-rom with 600+ MB of content. I start-off installation with a rescue.bin floppy, then the root.bin floppy, then proceed to load the drivers with drivers.tgz on the hard-disk. Next, to 'Install the Base System', I select cd-rom as the medium. Was prompted to 'Please place the first Debian cd-rom in the cd-rom drive.' which I did and then select 'choose from a list of all likely directories'. The response is "couldn't find directory containing basedebs.tar or lists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release.'

You should just be able to boot off the CD (assuming your BIOS is so configured), and then everything should just work. If not, the CD may be damaged.

Did you create the rescue.bin floppy from this CD, or from some other source? If the latter, I suspect you're working with two different "versions" of Debian, but I'm not sure, because I never use floppies.

--
Kent