Re: Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

Hi Lucas,

Just a couple of suggestions.  You may have tried these already.

Run the following command in an xterm
  bash -c "ulimit -n"
It should return '1024' on a sane setup.

Try 'xlsclients -d :0' and see if the list makes sense (probably already
did this).

Check $HOME/.xsession-errors for anything interesting.

Try selecting a different window manager when you fire up a new session --
perhaps Gnome is fubared and is eating resources.

Make sure you kill the xserver between tests (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) just to
make sure you're starting 'fresh'.

Another diagnostic step you could try is to create a new user and see if
the problem persists under the virgin account.  That would allow you to
narrow the scope of your problem to a system config prob, or a user config
prob.

-- Brad

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department