Re: newbie to Linux (Debian).

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:24:29PM -0700, Lucas Albers wrote:

> Frank J Bivings said:
> > I am a complete newbie to Linux (Debian). I thought it would be a
> > good way to get around the glut of Windows.
> >
> > I am having problems with the graphics card. I installed Debian
> > Linux 3.0 and, during the install I included XFree86.
> >
> > Upon booting it I get an error stating that:
> >
> > "I cannot start the Xserver (your graphical interface
>
> Perhaps my advice is poor.
> But I will give it anyway.
> Go install knoppix, it should auto-detect all your hardware.
> Then copy the xfree86 config file to your debian install.
> I like debian, but I do not reccomend it for newbies installing for
> desktop systems.
> Or try the testing version of debian, sarge, it autodetects a lot.

Agree.  Google on "linux live cd".  Knoppix or MEPIS.  My first attempt
with Debian installing failed too.  Using something that "just works"
like a live-cd version of Linux will really boost your confidence.
Debian does things that you'll grow to appreciate.  Mucking about with
XFree86 on your first time out with Linux is a daunting task indeed.
--
Mike