XFree86: unresolved symbols in LibGLCore.a

One of my machines running woody has developed a notion that it should
no longer be capable of starting the X server.  I made no changes to it,
the first report of it came after a user logged out from a successful X
session, after which KDM tried to start several times, finally falling
back to the console.  It also seems that the problem is with the X
server, and not with KDM, as a startx fails as well.

Looking at the output of startx, several lines come to my attention:

Symbol __glXMalloc from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXFree from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
[...]
That goes on for several lines, also mentioning __glXLastContext.

libGLCore.a is part of the xserver-xfree86 package, so I tried
reinstalling it, but I've still got the same problem.

The video card is a nVidia Vanta [NV6].  I'm using the Free 'nv' driver,
not the binary one.  Kernel is 2.4.18.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob