dpkg: Killed

Hi,

I'm a beginner with debian, but not with linux. I installed debian from
sarge-i386-netinst.iso dated 3 March. The install was fine (including
installation of X and some other stuff), but now it seems I am unable to
install software. I tried a couple of packages, and got the same
problems. Here are the symptoms I see:

 o "apt-get upgrade" worked fine
 o "apt-get install gaim" downloaded packages, but then complained that
   a subprocess was killed unexpectedly
 o "dpkg -i gaim-<version>.deb" says: Killed

I tried strace-ing the dpkg -i process, but I wasn't able to make out
anything obvious.

I've tried searching in the archives and on google, but didn't find
anything that seemed related. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks.

Ketil