Re: What is the minimum RAM needed for 2.4?

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:23:40 CST, Kirk Strauser writes:
>At 2004-03-09T14:33:56Z, Robert Waldner <rw@coretec.at> writes:
>> 32 MB are plenty for Debian itself. I'm running Woody on an i386SX 16 MHz
>> with 4 MB RAM without problems (installing was another matter, as the
>> installer needs more RAM).

>How?!?  I was attempting to run a hand-stripped Woody system on a 486/66
>with 12MB of RAM and it took ages just to log in to a shell prompt.  When I
>was stripped, I mean that when I was in multi-user and looking at a bash
>prompt, there were 12 entries in the process table.  How do you manage with
>4MB?

It's doing duties as masquerading firewall, so since finishing setting
 it up, I only log in when security-upgrades are due.

It's nowhere near fast, granted, a login via ssh2 takes 5 minutes or
 so, it swaps itself nearly to death when doing upgrades, but otherwise
 it works just fine.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /