Re: Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?

Hi!Andreas,

======= 2004-03-08 16:15:33 Andreas wrote:=======

>Hello
>
>ts (<tshew@flashmail.com>) wrote:
>> Andreas Janssen (<andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>) wrote:

>>> Get 2.4.24 or 2.4.25 from backports.org instead. Or build your own
>>> kernel. The precompiled images should have everything you need.
>>>
>> which following command should I enter when installing kernel
>> 2.4.25 (from backports.org):
>>
>> "apt-get install tk8.2 make gcc bin86 libc6-dev kernel-package"
>>
>> "apt-get install libncurses5-dev make gcc bin86 libc6-dev
>> kernel-package"
>>
>> "apt-get install  kernel-package"
>>
>> ???
>>
>> you see now here's only base system get installed ,no x windows yet.
>
>To install a precompiled kernel, add the proper source to
>/etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>deb http://www.backports.org/debian woody kernel-image-2.4.25-i386
>
>Run apt-get update and then
>
>apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.25-1-386
>
>(there are also 586tsc, 686, k6 and k7 packages available)
>
>After installing, configure your bootloader to use the initrd that came
>with the kernel, rerun lilo and reboot.

You see , currently the networkinging NIC still not in function yet unless I could upgrade kernel to 2.4.25. and then install nvidia driver .
I just downloaded backport's kernel-image-2.4.25-i386 under windows xp and left in "D:",
before installing should  I move  it to "usr/src"by entering " mv   kernel-image-2.4.25-i386 /usr/src"?

or mount the  Vfat partition at first then editing "sources.list" by adding "  deb file:///mnt/backports... "
then"apt-get update",
"apt-get install kernelimage"

or you've got other commands to achieve upgradings.

 Regards!

tom
9/3/2004