Re: Bttv card and 2.6 kernel [solved]

Hello,

A while back I wrote about the impossibility to get xawtv working with a 2.6 kernel. Stephan Muehlstrasser pointed me to the xawtv homepage (http://bytesex.org/xawtv/) where it's written (at the bottom) :

Question: xawtv displays just a black or blue screen whereas other tv apps work just fine.
Short answer: Try "xawtv -c /dev/video0"
Long answer: xawtv likely just picked something else as video device. xawtv can not only talk to video4linux devices, but also to video ports provided by the X-Server through the Xvideo extention. try "xawtv -hwscan" to get a list of devices xawtv is aware of. Default is the first entry in that list. Recent nvidia drivers seem to provide such an Xvideo port which xawtv picks by default. If your graphics card has a video input you try to connect something there and see whenever xawtv shows something then ;)

And indeed with "xawtv -c /dev/video0", it works! I use Nvidia proprietary drivers since I switched to kernel 2.6; the problem is certainly due to these drivers rather than the kernel. For the record, here is my current output with "xawtv -hwscan":

This is xawtv-3.90, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.3--25.02.2004-2)
looking for available devices
port 87-87
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV04 Video Overlay

port 88-119
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV05 Video Blitter

port 120-120                            [ -xvport 120 ]
    type : Xvideo, video overlay
    name : NVIDIA Video Interface Port

/dev/video0: OK                         [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video (Lifeview FlyVideo
    flags: overlay capture tuner

/dev/video0 is indeed not the first item in the list...

Yours,

Jeremie K.

I wrote:
Hello,

I've just installed a 2.6.0 kernel from the unstable kernel-source package, and
I can't get my bttv card working, while it worked with kernel 2.4.18, and it
still works with the Knoppix CD (see below). I load the bttv module manually.
[...]