Re: ATI Radeon 7500 & Woody - Unknown Chipset (0x5157)

I have a 7500 and I don't beleive X 4.1 supports it. To get round this either download 4.2 from the XFREE site and install on top of Woody (worked for me) or install Sarge (also worked for me). Or someone may have backported 4.2 to Woody anyway.

I load the radeonfb module and use UseFBDev True.  Everything works fine.

Regards

Tony Middleton.

Kenneth Jacker wrote:
I am running 'woody' with the 4.1.0-16woody1 version of XFree86 on a
fairly new Dell with a "ATI Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]" video controller.

For some reason, the board isn't being recognized when I 'startx'.
In particular, this:

    (II) ATI unknown chipset (0x5157)

and this:

    (WW) ATI: PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected

show up in the XFree86 log.  My screen finally returns to "text mode"
with a message something like, "No device found".

Doing some investigation, it appears that the video device *is*
supported under 4.1.0 as shown at:

    http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status6.html#6

and

    http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-hardware/video.html

Though I couldn't find a driver that looked useful using 'modconf', I
manually 'modprobe'd

        /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.o

but it still produced the same behavior.

Any help/ideas/suggestions will be *most* appreciated.