Re: kernel 2.6.3, alsa, debian testing

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:00:34PM +0100, ken@fiona-victor.com wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have problems loading the Alsa drivers in kernel 2.6.3 on my debian testing box.
> I get the following error:
> Starting ALSA (unknown version): failed - ALSA modules not installed
> I know i compiled them as modules.
> When I try modprobe snd I get:
> pingu:~# modprobe snd -v
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.3/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko device_mode=0660
> snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29
> snd_device_uid=0
> FATAL: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.3/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> dmesg says:
> snd: Unknown parameter `snd_major'
> snd: Unknown parameter `snd_major'
> snd: Unknown parameter `snd_major'
>
> I have some alsa stuff installed since I used alsa with the 2.4 kernel earlier.
> OSS works as expected ( I copiled is as a module too).
> My sound card used the module es1371 or ens1371.
> Can someone point me in the right direction ? I have googled around but cant
> find relevant stuff.
> Regards Kenneth

What alsa software do you have installed?  I think my alsa configuration
started working when I did a 'dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base' and told it
which sound card to use.  It didn't work properly for me at first, but a
second configuration was successful.  I also didn't try to get alsa
working on this computer until I installed a 2.6 kernel, if that makes a
difference.

Nate

--
     "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I
      fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom

Nathan J. Malmberg <malmberg2.5@insightbb.com>  GNUPG ID: 8A9B426E
The attachment is a digital signature.  Get my key at subkeys.pgp.net.