Re: System hangs on shutdown

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 19:43, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> so far twice in around one week my system hung on shutdown. The last
> message was:
>
> Stopping internet superserver: xinetd
>
> The system then is already totally irresponsive and I have to unplug
> it. Very bad, as the file system isn't unmounted yet.

I have had this--in fact the main reason I went over to an ext3 file system!
Finally got that going with the 2.6.2 kernel for which I was able to make an
initrd. (Never worked with 2.4.22-sfx fro Knoppix.) Anyway, the original
reason this was occuring was never found but the problem went away.

I recently put a an IPTable based firewall, Guarddog. Has an easily
understandable GUI which shorewall did not and might not flood the console
and logs with zillions of messages rendering them useless. I put by email
providers addresses into the "DMZ" as recommended. When the system boot up,
iptables and "starting guarddog" wouild hang up looking for these
addresses--needed DNS with no connection!. These could be control-C'd out. ON
shutdown, the "deconfiguring internet...." hung up. Big red switch time.

One IPs for these addresses went into the /etc/hosts file, everything was
fine. Maybe you have something going on sporadically that puts you in such a
situation?