Re: md: can not impport hdb1, has active inodes!

I thought I'd got this all cracked in the early hours of this
morning.  I _think_ I'd been putting boot=/dev/hda1 when I tried to
write the revised lilo config to the MBR and perhaps that messed up
hdb.  I don't know, anyway, I started again, did everything in that
howto pretty much to the letter and this time, after shifting boot to
/dev/hdc and rebooting, I could add /dev/hdb1.  However, lilo would
not let me use a raid-extra-boot line and when I rebooted, the system
hung right at the start.

I moved hdb1 to hda1 and started again, this time it's all worked
except for boot=/dev/md0 and the raid-extra-boot.  Now lilo allows
these and says it's written to both MBRs, but when I reboot lilo gets
to the first twenty or so of the dots after "Loading Linux" and hangs
there ... resolutely.

A lot of pratting around with rescuing from the installation CD (must
work out how to burn a rescue boot CDROM) and I am back to being able
to get everything find if I boot from boot=/dev/hdc with
root=/dev/md0 ... and I think I'll give up here as I must go back to
doing my real job and having a life.  If anyone can tell me what
might be neeeded (I haven't tried things like bios=0x80 lines) I may
find the energy to try them but not if this machine has become my
working firewall!

So I'm left thinking there's something, perhaps idiosyncratic to some
BIOS or HDs or whatever, that means some of us have real problems
writing LILO boot instructions to the two drives in a RAID1 boot
array.

I've leflt Maarten's listing of a SuSE lilo.conf to see if anyone has
ideas.

Thank everyone,

Chris