Re: which process is accessing my hard drive?

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 17:34, Matt Price wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to set my (aging) laptop up for maximum power
> efficiency.  using hdparm, I set the spindown time very short, I don't
> use x, and I've gone so far as to shutdown things like cron and atd.

:)
You definitely want noflushd as well. There's hundreds of things going
on even inside a seemingly idle box, and you're experiencing the
effects.
hdparm only sends the disk sleeping and doesn't care what happens next.
In contrast, noflushd will catch any write requests and keep it on hold,
so the disk will only come up if there's a read request that can't be
served from the buffer.

At least that's the theory. In real life, I have some boxes where it
works just great, and others where it has little to no effect.

cu,
Schnobs