Re: Any reason why mounting /tmp as tmpfs would be a bad idea?

* Chris Metzler (cmetzler@speakeasy.net) [040229 20:52]:
> Given that /tmp gets cleaned on reboot anyway, I can't think of a reason
> why it'd be a bad idea to use a tmpfs filesystem for /tmp.  But the fact
> that I can't think of one doesn't mean there isn't.
>
> So . . .any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Well, on a system with plenty of disk but a RAM shortage, it might take
away a more scarce resource.  Still, this effect should be minimal,
since tmpfs uses paging to swap unused data to disk as needed.

I've been using tmpfs on /tmp on many systems for a long time and have
noticed no ill effects.  But like you say, that I haven't noticed any
doesn't mean that there aren't any, or especially that there's no
potential for any.

Have you read filesystems/tmpfs.txt in the kernel docs?

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/