Re: please help apt upgrade issue openoffice locales

> developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
>> I am running a debian woody mixing stable and testing and very random
>> few
>> unstable packages with the 2.4.24 kernel.  I just did an apt-get -u
>> dist-upgrade and there was a couple upgrades none seemed very
>> significant
>> but it bombed out at the end. Now it bombs out everytime i do an upgrade
>> and a couple things seem broken like my openoffice stopped working.
>> Seems
>> to be a conflict with the xlibmesa3 upgrade and my existing
>> libGLU.so.1.3
>> package?
>>
>> Here is the output:
>> S# apt-get -u dist-upgrade
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> Calculating Upgrade... Done
>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>   scrollkeeper
>> The following packages will be upgraded:
>>   xlibmesa3
>> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 0B/3423kB of archives.
>> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>> (Reading database ... 61643 files and directories currently installed.)
>> Preparing to replace xlibmesa3 4.1.0-16woody1 (using
>> .../xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody3_i386.deb) ...
>> Unpacking replacement xlibmesa3 ...
>> dpkg: error processing
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody3_i386.deb (--unpack):
>>  trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3', which is also in
>> package xlibmesa3-glu
>> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody3_i386.deb
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> It sounds like you have to force the install like (one line):
>
> dpkg -i --force-overwrite
> /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody3_i386.deb
>
> as root
>

> --

Thanks colin that got me past that message but now I have a host of
problems.  First of all it never completed the upgrade of the scrollkeeper
package now i get:
# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  scrollkeeper
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

More importantly my openoffice seems to be screwed up i think it had
something to do with perl being upgraded and that somehow screwed up my
locales.  My locales are just C and POSTFIX but when I run openoffice  I
get:
starting configuration import into user data ..
.. importing layer file:///tmp/oooLocale.XXXXyD0zzf - succeeded
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

If I reconfigure my locales to include en_US.UTF-8 I then get this:
#openoffice
Starting configuration import into user data ..
.. importing layer file:///tmp/oooLocale.XXXXtBkvKq - succeeded

And now with the en_US.UTF-8 set to default i get all these funny
characters on lots of screens like the reconfigure screens and man pages.
I had C set to the default locale before but when you reconfigure it it
doesn't seem to be an option to fix the funky characters i have to
reconfigure locales and remove en_US.UTF-8.  I tried removing and purging
openoffice and reinstalling with no luck.

Please help
-ryan

per