headless firewall application recommendation

Greetings:

I am looking for recommendations for firewall/router software for
Debian.  I have looked over several packages, but I feel swamped.  I
used an old Woody CD for very basic install, updated kernel and then
upgraded the system to Sarge.  All is working great, so far.  Now I
want to use this computer as a firewall to connect other computers in
the house LAN to the internet (safely).  I am no expert and firewall
rules cause me to stagger in my chair, so I am looking for a package
that will set good default rules for the LAN, yet can be tweaked if I
get the urge to open a port for a game etc.  Also, the system will be
without keyboard/mouse/monitor, so I want to avoid instlling X on it.

TIA

Wishing you well.

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone