Re: Fetchmail Query

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Peter A. Cole wrote:

> I'm experiencing a minor issue with fetchmail 6.2.4.
> There is one message in my mailbox at my ISP that fetchmail sees but won't delete or anything.
> When it goes to retrieve this message, it has an NDR message: SMTP error: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address admin@cheapsoftwarecds.us does not resolve.

Hi,

this error message comes from your MTA side e.g. in my case sendmail. In
cf.README you find:

[...]

Notice: domains which are temporarily unresolvable are (temporarily)
rejected with a 451 reply code.  If those domains should be accepted
(which is discouraged) then you can use

	LOCAL_CONFIG
	C{ResOk}TEMP

sendmail will also refuse mail if the MAIL FROM: parameter is not
fully qualified (i.e., contains a domain as well as a user).  If you
want to continue to accept such senders, use

	FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')

[...]

In man fetchmail you find:

[...]

RETRIEVAL FAILURE MODES
       The protocols fetchmail uses to talk to mailservers are next to bulletproof.  In normal operation forwarding
       to  port 25, no message is ever deleted (or even marked for deletion) on the host until the SMTP listener on
       the client side has acknowledged to fetchmail that the message has been	either	accepted  for  delivery  or
       rejected due to a spam block.

[...]

To avoid fetchnmail from keeping this spam in your ISP's email account
add this feature to your sendmail.mc and recreate it.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit