identifying stalled/dead processes

When, for example, kde locks up it is usually easy enough to find which
process caused it.  If I just opened a new konqueror window, I open a console
with ctl-alt-F2 and logon and use ps -e or ps ax to find the highest process
number that seems to be konqueror and kill that.

But sometimes I don't know what caused a freeze-up and then I am left trying
every kdeinit process in turn, starting with the highest number.  If the
first twenty or so do not find the problem, I have usually dismantled enough
random bits of the kde session for it to be useless. So I go back to the
original console from which it was started (with ctl-alt-F1) and kill the
whole startx process with ctl-c.

That all works after a fashion, but I'm sure that is the dumbest possible way.
How should I identify the rogue process more accurately and kill just the
one, without random mayhem and data loss.  From 40 minutes on google all I
could find was many different people explaining how to use the kill command.
None seemed to address the question of finding out what to kill.

TIA

--
richard