Re: Raid Level 1 and me

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:49, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi Folks,

[snip lots of useful info]
> so I do a
>
> > mdadm /dev/md8 --add /dev/hda8
>
> to put /dev/hda8 back online (my tmp directory, which has the lowest fear
> factor of messing with/up for me) i check /proc/mdstat .. it shows it's
> syncing ... and when it finally syncs, it shows that both drives are up
> and runninig in the raid array (as they should be!):
>
> md8 : active raid1 hda8[0] hdc8[1]
>       256896 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>

> which looks good .. but everytime I restart, /dev/hda8 drops off of the
> array!
>
> What's happening?

You don't mention this, but did you change your /etc/raidtab file to
indicate that hda was no longer a broken disk, but a live part of the
array?

> some debugging info:
> This is a clean (and minimal?) debian woody install
> I recompiled the kernel w/ RAID1 support and what not.
>
> When I was copying over my files from my working /dev/hda install I
> wasn't exactly sure of the best way to copy over all of the files on
> /dev/hda3 (whch is mounted at /) so I just copied each directory that
> wasn't on another partition (like /usr, /var, /home, etc) one by one,
> then I created mount points on / for each of the filesystems to mount
> there (so I made a dir on my /dev/md3 device for /usr my raid usr
> partition had a place to mount and so on ... i feel like this may be
> causing some type of problems, because I'm getting some weird perms
> errors unless I am root .. for instance, if I log in as my admin user and
> type vi, i get a perm error like: ex/vi: Error: Unable to create
> temporary file: Permission denied which I feel like shouldn't happen ..
> would that have something to do w/ anything at this stage of the game?)

You probably didn't use the -p switch when you copied, so you applied the
umask of the root user to all files you copied.  Those permissions are
likely too restrictive.  Check the original partitions on hda, if they
still exist.  If the permissions are different, then you'll need to change
them.

[snip more useful information that seemed correct]

Justin Guerin

[sorry for the excess snippage. :-)]