Mplayerplug-in needs mozilla-dev 1.6

Dear friends:

[Using Xandros 2.0/Debian]

I am on the very last stage of installing my Mplayer by recompiling from
tarball source. I've been struggling for hours but the good news is that I
have succeeded completely (by following the arcane instructions in Mplayer's
Documentation) in installing MPLAYER itself. It plays DVD's beautifully. No
problem. All that's left is the mplayerplugin. I want to install this also
from source. In trying to do and in reading the comments below, it seems that
I need to install the mozilla-dev files, but since I use Mozilla 1.4, the
mozilla-dev 1.6 files (the only ones that will work with the new
mplayerplugin 2.11) will break my apt-get system. I would there very much
appreciate your help. Perhaps if you have a Debian package that will work
with Mozilla 1.4. I understand that you can compile the Deb on Moz 1.6 but
still use it safely in Moz 1.4. Is that true? But you can't install the
moz-dev packages in order to compile the mplayerplugin because it will break
my apt-get. I want to do it right. That's why I have been compiling
everything from tarball source. Is there any way to complete this last step
safely? Unfortunately, Xandros 2.0 has not yet upgraded their Mozilla 1.4 to
1.6.

Thanks so very much again. Below is the output of my attempt to configure it:

sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/Folders$ cd mplayerplug-in
sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/Folders/mplayerplug-in$ ls
ChangeLog    configure.in  install.sh           mplayerplug-in.spec   README
common       extras        LICENSE              mplayerplug-in.types  Source
config.h.in  include       Makefile.in          pixmaps               TODO
configure    INSTALL       mplayerplug-in.conf  plugingate
sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/Folders/mplayerplug-in$ ./configure]
bash: ./configure]: No such file or directory
sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/Folders/mplayerplug-in$ ./configure
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mozilla-plugin... Package mozilla-plugin was not found in the
pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `mozilla-plugin.pc'
No package 'mozilla-plugin' found
configure: error: Unable to find gecko sdk
sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/Folders/mplayerplug-in$