Re: CPU-intensive periodic processes, e.g. xscreensaver-gl

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:31:35PM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> As for 'unexpected' tasks, look at /etc/cron.* (daily, monthly, etc).

Will do.

> As I understand it, you sleep almost on top of the machine and want it
> to keep running 24/7. Why you want to do this is none of my business,
> but apparently you won't do much number-crunching.

Heh, fair enough zinger.  However I don't think you appreciate how loud
one of these overclocker's fans (Thermaltake Xaser Spark 7) @ 6400 RPMs
actually is: imagine a hairdryer.  Just sleeping in the same room (even
on the other side of the room is difficult).

I've figured out what to do: I enabled cpufreq/p4-clockmod and enabled
the powersave governor, like for laptops.  I underclock the overclocked
machine while I sleep.

Now I can turn the fan down to "quite quiet" (3000 RPMs) and compile hte
kernel at 46C (before it was 55C).  So I can sleep peacefully.