Re: apt cache obese?

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:21:08PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 06:16:31PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > If you regularly use apt-get (instead of dselect, aptitude, or synaptic)
> > it stores all the downloaded packages and does not delete them.  The
> > other front ends either delete them immediately after installation or
> > prompt you.
>
> aptitude does neither deletes them nor prompts me to delete them.

Actually, it can.  Looking in /usr/share/aptitude/README, way down,
under a heading "OTHER CONFIGURATION OPTIONS", it mentions an option
that can be put in either ~/.aptitude/config or /etc/apt/apt.conf,

Aptitude::AutoClean-After-Update

Where it will delete files no longer in the archive.

The default is listed as "false", and just now, I cannot find this
option set on my system, but it seems that aptitude _is_ automatically
removing old packages on my system.