Re: How to Print to Printer from g++ program? - Thanks

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:10:55PM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 06:27, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >
> > If this question is regarded as wildly off target for this list,
>
> It probably is, and so, I'll not respond directly to your question, but
> rather ask a new one... :-)
>

> > As a physicist I wrote large programs in Pascal before retiring in
> > 1994 but nothing since until last week.  I thought of a problem I
> > wanted to solve, read up on C++ and got my program working with only
> > a few struggles with syntax
>
> Great!
>
> > but how to write directly to the printer has eluded me.
>
> I see. Well, I know very little about C++, but I also wrote a program
> some time ago in Pascal that produced pretty graphics on HP LJ
> III-series of printers. Nowadays, I think you would use a library that
> provides you with an abstraction layer to the printer. I have no
> experience there, but I think Qt has a print library, and it is written
> in C++.
>
> However, are you sure that you are using the right tool for the job?
>
> The nice thing about the Free Software community is that most problems
> are solved allready, the code is available, and it has undergone
> extensive though informal peer review.
>
> If it is a science problem, I would strongly recommend the R system. I
> used it for my thesis in astrophysics, and it is really very good. It
> has a very 1-to-1 correspondance between math and code, and makes any
> code you write easy to understand and it is very easy to get a good
> overview. It is really a statistics system, but as far as I'm
> concerned, it is good for any kind of science. It has a very strong
> community consisting of some of the main authorities in numerical
> statistics developing it.
>
> See http://www.r-project.org/
>
> It is also packaged in Debian, just go apt-get install r-recommended.
>
> It has a large and improving graphics library that will let you make
> good graphs of your data. It also has bindings to C (and through that,
> C++) and FORTRAN, so you can reuse existing code within the R
> framework.
>
> If it is not a science project, well, I find that programming at the
> relatively low level of C++ is usually quite painful and seldomly
> necessary. I tend to return to Perl programming whenever I need
> something done.
>
> There is a bunch of Postscript modules on CPAN:
> http://search.cpan.org/search?query=postscript
> They will probably assist you greatly, should you choose a Perl path.
>

> Best,
>
> Kjetil
> --
> Kjetil Kjernsmo
> Astrophysicist/IT Consultant/Skeptic/Ski-orienteer/Orienteer/Mountaineer
> kjetil@kjernsmo.net  webmaster@skepsis.no  editor@learn-orienteering.org
> Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/        OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC

Thanks for pointing me at the r-project.  I plan to take advantage of
math capabilities as I get further into my project.  I only started in
C++ because my grandson is taking a high school course on C++ this
spring and I wanted to be sure he could do his homework on our debian
computers.

Tom George