from the internet. In your present solution you do
apt-get update on both machines and that's slow.
I see two solutions for this.

#1 hack: If you use the same sources.list on both machines
   copy package lists between the machines along with
   the debs. It should be in /var/cache/apt/pkgcache and
   var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache. But I didn't ever try this.
   There could be more files that you need sync.

#2 use apt-proxy. It caches both debs and package lists.
   apt-get update is then less painful because it
   downloads lists from the internet only on first use.

You're right that apt-proxy stores all downloaded packages
in the same tree directory structure as debian archives use.

But there's no need to setup that manually. Apt-proxy builds/
fills/updates/deletes it all automatically. You just need to
properly configure it. You can check my config at http://abu.ath.cx
if you're interested.

--
Jan Suchy