Re: 256-color xterm

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:02:07AM -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:55:51PM -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >>
> >> The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
> >> There's an faq at
> >> 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> >> 	ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/
> >>

 > Not exactly (I don't make any of those packages, but frequently compile
> xterm on systems where they're installed).  Looking at the stuff I've
> installed, it appears that xlibs-dev and libxaw6-dev is what you need to
> be able to do this.  So making a package shouldn't require anything more
> (except of course the package-building-packages) than what I need to
> compile xterm.  After all, they're not incorporated into xterm's package.

ok, I went ahead and compiled/installed a 256-color xterm.  I was
hoping that the extra colors would magically appear for me in xemacs,
but emacs still thinks I have only 16 colors.  Also I tried running some of
the tests in vttests (um, I get the impression from the net that you
wrote these, Thomas!) but the oly one that seemed to generate more
than 16 colors was dynamic.sh.  256colors.pl, for instance, only shows
the ANSI colors, not the 16x16 box or the grayscale ramp its supposed
to.  Do I have to set some other variables somewhere (e.g., in
.Xdefaults) to make sure xtemr understnads 256-colors?

whew.  thanks for your help!
matt