Re: How do I create subdomains

On Sunday 25 January 2004 2:40 pm, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:42:02AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 January 2004 10:40 am, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I want to create some subdomains to my ip and/or top domain name. My
> > > top domain name is (will be) pointing at gandi.net and is going to be
> > > redirected to my home. Any pointers or suggestions will be greatly
> > > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Can you be more specific about what you mean by "redirected to my home"
> >
> > If you have a domain name, you have to give the powers that be two name
> > servers for the domain.  Normally whoever you purchased your domain name
> > from will provide those nameservers.  These will then dish out
> > information about your name to who ever asks.
>
> Being more specific:
> I bought the top level domain name from http://www.gandi.net; they offer

I took a quick look at their site.  You seem to have a choice, you can specify
their nameservers for your top level domain, or you can specify your.  (You
have to specify two which are then entered into the high level nameservers).
I couldn't go any further until I have a domain name registered with them.

It is not clear if (for instance) you point the primary nameserver at your
machine, and a secondary at theirs whether they support updating their
nameserver database from yours, but if that were the case, you just set up
something like bind on your machine to act as the nameserver for your domain.
You can then decide which subnames you want and what their ip addresses are.
(but if you are on an internal network hidden behind a NAT gateway you do NOT
want to publish the ip addresses of those machines on the internet)

The (much more likely) alternative is that you do what I do through
www.freeparking.co.uk

My domain is chandlerfamily.org.uk - the two nameservers for that are within
freeparkings domain and they run the nameserver on my behalf.  They provide a
web interface whereby I can make changes to the name server entries for my
domain.

They provide some IP addresses internally for mail.chandlerfamily.org.uk and
mail2.chandlerfamily.org.uk and provide MX records for the
chandlerfamily.org.uk domain which point at these.  These mailservers see
mail for xxxx@chandlerfamily.org.uk and forward it on to other mail
addresses.  The provide a web interface to specify what mail addresses to use
(up to 4 plus a catchall address).  These I point to my ISP
(blueyonder.co.uk) where they provide me with 5 mail addresses.

I can collect mail from them using fetchmail and pump it into a local mail
server.  BUT through their web interface I also define the name
home.chandlerfamily.org.uk to be the ip address that my ISP has allocated me
for my access.  My firewall then forwards port 25 (SMTP) to my internal mail
server.

So at freeparking I have also used their web interface to add an MX record of
the highest priority (ie it is used for the first try) which points at
home.chandlerfamily.org.uk.  So by default, and whilst I am actually online
mail comes to me directly. When I am offline it gets forwarded via my ISP and
collected next time I start up using fetchmail.

BUT  inside my network, I don't use the chandlerfamily.org.uk names for the
internal machines.  These are instead called pooh.home, piglet.home,
kanger.home etc.  I run an internal nameserver that services requests for the
ip address for the *.home domain (and the reverse - from ip address find the
name) and then forwards requests for all other names to my ISPs name servers

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk