Re: upgrade Woody to Sarge

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:31:05AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2004 10:10 am, john gennard wrote:
> > On a new hard drive, I've installed a basic Woody (ex the 7 CD set)
> > to use to upgrade to Sarge.
> >
> > In /etc/apt/sources.list I put:-
> >         'deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib
> > non-free' and ran:-            'apt-get update'
> >
> > Things seemed to go fine initially, but I finished with the following
> > error:-
> >
> > ----------
> > [snip]
> > Fetched 2827kB in 38s .......
> > Reading Package Lists ... Error!
> > E.  Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> > E.  Error occured while processing vrwave (NewVersion2)
> > E.  Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/
>
> Have you run out of disk space in /var ?  - or alternatively perhaps in /tmp
> or swap

No, he hasn't. Or at least, that's not the problem.

John, if you just added that sources.list line and didn't remove the
corresponding one for stable, then do so now. If that doesn't help, then
try putting 'APT::Cache-Limit "16777216";' in /etc/apt/apt.conf (create
it if it doesn't exist) and trying again.

If you need to do the second step, then please report that together with
the complete contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list. We'll need to know
this for the sarge release notes.

Cheers,