Re: limited diskspace

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:47:48PM -0800, David wrote:
> I've got limited free diskspace (~700MB) on my debian workstation, with ~ 2GB
> consumed.  Would it be a bad idea to do an apt-get upgrade?
>
> Didn't know if this command causes a lot of data to be downloaded to
> disk.

That 700 MB should be plenty of space especially if you are upgrading
within a major release (that is, not upgrading from Woody to Sarge, for
example). You will need disk space for upgraded package archives plus
for the difference in installed size of the upgraded packages compared
to the old ones.

Apt will tell you how much space you will need. For example:

- clip -
eelis:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be upgraded
  bsdmainutils console-data gnome-terminal grep-dctrl latex2html libnetpbm10
  libnetpbm9 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g login net-tools netpbm
  passwd python python-tk python2.3 python2.3-tk
18 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1MB of archives.
After unpacking 168kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
- clip -

I would need 10.1 MB for the package archives downloaded during the
installation and after the installation the upgraded packages would take
168 kB more space than the old versions. That 10.1 MB can be freed up
later by clearing the package cache. Additionally some work space is
required by apt and dpkg during the installation (that depends mostly on
the packages being upgraded).

I personally use aptitude which also tells the required space (normally
on the third line from top).

--
Johannes Lehtinen <johannes.lehtinen@iki.fi>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/