Re: Derivative effects.

On Saturday 24 January 2004 07:11 pm, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:28:17PM -0500, Al Davis wrote:
> > You may copy and distribute this program freely, provided that:
> >     1)   No fee is charged for such copying and distribution, and
> >     2)   It is distributed ONLY in its original, unmodified state.
> >
> > How is this case different from GPL violations today?
>
> The GPL gives you the right to modify the program and distribute
> modified versions. That means that you'd be allowed to modify the
> program to make it run better. The major requirement of the GPL is
> that you have to distribute the source along with the binaries.
>
> The GPL also allows a fee to be charged.

Good point.  My point was that both are the same in that the issue was
that a "free" program with source distributed is illegally forked and
taken proprietary.    It is an example of a case that GPL is designed
to prevent.

Remember .. this happened at a time when GPL was not well known.  The
more usual was a shareware license, like arc.  Perhaps if it was
originally released under GPL this would not have happened.